New layout last week! Whatcha think? Simple, yet customized. I like it. Other than the embarrassingly long time it took to make a feline shaped apostrophe, I’m pleased.
New FAQ & Links page as well. I thought it would be a good way to concentrate all the questions I’ve been getting since I started telling people about my plans.
Now on to the good stuff. I’m still undecided on what stove to bring on the AT. I know I’m over-thinking it but I just can’t help it. Plus, it’s fun to make DIY stuff even if I don’t end up using it for my hike. I made a windscreen today for the alcohol stoves I made a while back. I used the following instructions with a few minor adjustments:
I cut the height to fit inside the pot. Makes sense. Then I scored a line with a pen to fold over the edge with the accent wire inside to form the new border. Cake! Then I made the bottom row of holes with a hole punch instead of a drill. Sweet!
Then I went to make the second row of holes above the first and realized the hole punch wouldn’t allow me to go up that high. Doh! The drilling method looked like this:
Boooooo! I tried putting a piece of masking tape over it to get a more uniform circle but that didn’t help. Neither did putting a piece of cardboard over it to try to flatten the aluminum. I think it may have worked if I’d sandwiched the metal between two pieces of wood and drilled through the whole thing but that would’ve required a trip to the garage and that was more work than I was willing to do at the time. We have a quarantined cat I found outside my work and I was trying to spend some time with him in our guest/craft room.
I went with pushing a knitting needle through it instead.
The difference between the hole punch and the knitting needle is pretty significant but I’m okay with it considering it was my first try. I took everything outside to test it out but it wasn’t actually windy. I have plans to take it for a test run next week. Cross your fingers for wind!